It's BBQ and picnic season! Yay! Break out the blankets. Pack up some potato salad and fresh fruit to go with those juicy burgers. Head to your favorite park to enjoy the day. But with all that fun in the sun comes what seems like millions of tiny, suprisingly strong for their size, crumb-stealing annoyances: ants.
If you've ever been outside, you've seen ants. They're everywhere... especially where you don't want them to be-around your delicious food! If you've ever had ants discover your picnic or BBQ, you know it's already too late. They just don't stop coming! Even more frustrating, is that once you've discovered ants around, they can be extremely difficult to get rid of.
“Summer cookouts, and the crumbs they leave behind, are the perfect targets for ants in need of food and water,” says one of our Rose Pest Solutions experts. “There are, however, quick tips and tricks that homeowners can use to sidestep ant infestations. These simple efforts can go a long way, as ants can contaminate food and colony sizes can be quite large depending on the species.”
HOW CAN I PREVENT ANTS IN AND AROUND MY HOME?
We've got you covered! Once again, we've paired up with the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to arm you with some amazing tips to keep your outdoor meals, and home, ant-free:
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water; repair leaky pipes or faucets.
- Quickly clean up crumbs and spills as soon as possible.
- Do the dishes, wipe down counters, tabletops, sweep up floors and remove trash regularly.
- Don’t leave leftover dog and cat food dishes sitting out all day; pick up dishes once the animals are done eating.
- Check under appliances and behind garbage cans where crumbs and residue can accumulate.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Seal any cracks or small openings around the foundation of the home and repair ripped screens, as these can serve as entry points.
Ant prevention is key, but those little buggers can still manage to slip through the cracks. If that happens, Rose Pest Solutions is a click away and ready to help.